.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tales of a Post-Grad Nothing

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I can't finish writing about Utah until I have pictures from my nephew (ahem! Chad!). In the mean time, I can write about this - last night I met this dude for the first time and somehow in between eating Vietnamese soup in what is easily the tackiest Asian eatery I have ever frequented (D describes it well here) and walking to one of the top five reasons I live in Chicago, we also ended up running into this lady and seeing the play with her. It felt kind of like having people from other sitcoms guest star on the television show of my life. Here's a note about voyeuristically reading about someone's life online and then actually running into them on the street - It's awkward and there's absolutely no way to get around that. If you openly acknowledge the situation and say something like "Oh hey, I...uh...read about your life online, by the way how's your cat? Can he really sit up straight like that or do you pose him?," you automatically sound like you're as socially coordinated as a level 6 Dungeon Master. If you ignore the situation and don't say anything at all, you'll probably still accidentally creep said person out by giving them a perplexed stare and walking away. Luckily, Megs is cool enough not to be deterred by a freakish small woman gawking at her from outside a restaurant and when we all ran into each other inside Barrel's tiny theatre, she sat next to us as if the three of us...you know...had met each other prior to that night.

After the play D and I drank liquor and talked about crack whores and I ended up feeling out of breath from laughing so hard. Throughout the night, I kept getting the same feeling I used to get in high school when a friend and I would have secret Saturday 10AM phone dates to discuss our English teacher's unbelievably craggy face and the latest plot development in X-Men the Animated Series. I remember thinking then By all laws of logic, this shouldn't be awesome AND YET IT IS. In case you're wondering, THAT is how meeting someone from the internet for the first time and then haphazardly picking up someone else from the internet feels - unexpectedly and slightly shamefully awesome.

I got home around midnight, kind of high off of the extreme amount of pho, musical numbers, laughter, mayhem, and general absurdity that had ensued over the past few hours. When I walked in, my roommate asked where I was all night on a Monday. "Hot date?" he asked. "Not exactly," I said. "It was a much better adventure than that."

Thanks for being wicked cool kids.

5 Comments:

At 2:39 AM, Blogger Chad said...

i hate to hold up the blog. pictures coming.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Our Man In Chicago said...

I love Megs' blog. She's hilarious.

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Megs said...

I must say I loved reading all 3 of our perspectives on the same night. Very fun. Hopefully we can get together for Hangbangers Ball Sat. night.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger d said...

i liked the three diff perspectives too. very cool.

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Shanti said...

"you automatically sound like you're as socially coordinated as a level 6 Dungeon Master"
too freakin funny. imagine what it is like talking to my close friends who don't do the blogger thing and starting sentences with "this one girl whose blog i read..."

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home