.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tales of a Post-Grad Nothing

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Snapshot

It's 1:30AM here in Chicago. It's snowing and lovely. Today I worked then went to a punk rock hair salon where they serve you beer and a healthy dose of Ozzy while they style you up. Right now my house is decorated for Christmas. We have 26 stockings hung for my roommate's enormo family and I've made my housemates listen to Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas more times than they can count. Right this second my dog is snoring loudly on her red, white, and bones-themed bed by my side. When I go to my bed that I'm too lazy to properly fit with sheets so I just kind of lay on top of a pile of them in a mangled mess, she'll come jump into the pile too because I have little regard for what her trainer told me to do. Just before I go to sleep, I'll say "Goodnight Pumpkin Pie" and she'll lick my cheek before settling down and I will go to sleep feeling lucky right down to my spine.

That probably won't happen for another few hours. For now, I'm working from my home office which faces our backyard where every tree is covered in ice. We have a tiny wishing well behind my house and it's still got scrape marks on it from earlier in the day when a friend and I went outside and made snowballs from the ice on top, throwing them at the dog while she leapt in the air to eat them. My house smells like a mixture of brownies, burnt popcorn, and apple-mint tea leftover from the spontaneous Tuesday Hong Kong-themed movie night that just wrapped up here. This kind of thing happens frequently and when I talk to friends about why I'm happier with this city than I have been anywhere else, it's hard to describe exactly why little things like ice scrapes and dog snores and temporary tattoos my salon hands out and watching Project Runway each week huddled under blankets with friends make all the difference. They just do. While it's quickly approaching soul deadening cold-level winter, I feel warmer than I ever have before. Chicago, you've treated me far better than I deserve.

7 Comments:

At 3:09 AM, Anonymous Jeff said...

Chicago has its charms, but I've never heard anyone speak so positively about spending winter there.

So either 'Well done' or 'You don't yet know what you're in for...'

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Ross said...

The night I left Chicago the temperature w/ wind chill was -30. WTF!?

I hope you make it out alive.

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to borrow a jimmy carr term - call me a "stray" (straight but socially gay), i do need to point out that you forgot to post a pic of your new haircut.

also, i "heart" how your post of unmitigated joy is met with cynicism.... i for one am delighted to hear that chicago is making you feel so good that you'd want to "throw you hands in the air like you're hailing a taxi"

oh, and you do deserve to be treated every bit as well as one might hope for. (wow, now i do sound gayer than a handbag full of rainbows)

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Em said...

Show us your hairs cut!

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Jamie Lovely said...

Found you on D's blog, I'm a fellow Chicago gal.

What did you think about Twisted Scissors? I've heard a lot about it!

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Twisted Scissors is fantastic. Reasonably priced, really nice, and they'll serve you beer. I'm a huge fan.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Steve said...

I like any post you have that vicariously mentions me.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home