.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tales of a Post-Grad Nothing

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Random Question

I'm trying to sell a laptop on Craigslist and I keep getting these weirdly personal responses that outline traumatic reasons why I should ship the thing to Nigeria or Turkey or Kansas instead of selling it locally. In the past week the thing has been listed, I've gotten reasons ranging from war to research to fulfilling a dead man's dying wish for his son on why I not only should, but NEED to ship this thing somewhere around the world. I've gotten maybe 10 e-mails and all of the stories sound creepily similar with each buyer offering to pay me in money order form. Do people pay for things in money orders anymore? I'm really uncomfortable giving out my address. When I think about it, I have weird daydreams of a trench-coated detective dragging my bloated corpse out of the Chicago River, all the while shaking his head and mumbling "laptop...Craigslist...Jesus, another one...the world is cruel." Has anyone else had a problem or success selling stuff on Craigslist?

7 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger christat said...

DO NOT RESPOND to those people. my friend got scammed out of a bass guitar that way. my boyfriend almost got scammed out of a laptop on ebay that way. anyone normal will pay for something the normal way. don't accept money orders. you can google "nigerian scam craigslist/ebay" and I'm sure you'll find some people who've been suckered.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger David said...

yeah, this is pretty much the prototype scam they warn you about when you sign up to list an item on craigslist:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

i've successfully sold (and given away) a bunch of stuff on craigslist. in every case, it's local inquiries only, cash only, in person only, at a neutral site (not my apt) only.

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Mel said...

Listen to the above folks. If you receive an email that sounds like bullshit, it probably is. Stick with the local responses... assuming they don't sound like BS. Ship your laptop to Nigeria, and you're eff'd in the doodle! God I've been DYING to use that phrase!

 
At 2:24 AM, Anonymous R. Mooma said...

I am Mr. Robert Mooma, the Auditor General of prime banks in Africa. During the course of our auditing, I discovered a floating fund in an account opened in the bank in 1990 and since 1993 nobody has operated on this account again. After going through some old files in the records, I discovered that the owner of the account died without a "Heir apparent to the throne" hence the money is floating.

However, if you are interested in this business we will start the first money transfer with fifty two million U.S. Dollars (U.S.$52,000,000.00) upon successful transaction without any disappoint from you.

JUST SEND THE LAPTOP TO Mr. Robert Mooma. EIB House, Plot 5, Alausa, Ikeja,Lagos-Nigeria AND WE WILL BEGIN THE TRANSFER IMMEDIATELY

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Chris said...

You need to throw in that the laptop is the only way your dying daughter can live. It's that extra coating of guilt that really takes it to the next level.

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had tickets to the World Series in '05 and had no plans on selling them but I posted them on Craigslist just to see what people were offering. I got a few sob stories about lifelong fans who would give anything to see the game, but the best/worst was that some girl e-mailed me and offered me $300 per ticket (more than twice face value, but only half of the maximum offer I got) and naked pictures of herself.

The internet is a strange strange place.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger d said...

in college i outfitted my entire existance with craigslist. i've bought and sold many, many things...never had a bad experience. the key to that, i think, has been to ignore people from kenya and nigeria.

i even took an ex-army general up on his offer to pay me something like $500 to drive his beater van across the country one summer, to help him relocate from california to chicago.

i was obviously hell bent for money back then.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home