.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tales of a Post-Grad Nothing

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Come On and Feel the Illinoise

Chicago is awesome, mainly because I am all of a sudden around friends who say things like "hey, I quit my job. Let's drive somewhere weirdly awesome this weekend." And so it is. From today until Tuesday, I'm with my homeboyz Steve and Dan searching for the most bizarrely bizarre things this nation has to offer...or at least the things we can drive to in a weekend. Today we drove to Rockome Gardens in Amazing Arcola! Illinois, the nation's largest Amish community (I think). We stopped there because we read an article about Chick-Tac-Toe, a game in which willing opponents battle a live chicken in a game of tic-tac-toe. Rockome is basically an amusement park for Amish people who apparently get their kicks playing normal games with livestock. Unfortunately, there were no chickens available today for Chick-Tac-Toe, but we did see a lot of wooden guns and wigwams. Also, they re-enact WWII battles every 15 minutes or so Rockome Gardens. I mean, they have a tank and a haunted cavern and an Elvis impersonation band and people dressed like Abe Lincoln. It was like walking through a piece of my own brain. We also saw an Amish volleyball game and took shots of sour candy out of test tubes while standing in a boiling-hot antique museum, looking at something that may very well have been a turn of the century baby coffin. Needless to say, it was delightfully surreal. Right now I'm in Memphis trying to convince the boys to call me "Pretty Pretty Princess" for the rest of the weekend and watching a sweet-ass special on snake fetuses. Photos and stories to come when I get back. See you kids on Tuesday.

3 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger O'Donovan said...

Dear Pretty Pretty Princess:

> We also saw an Amish volleyball game

Oh, the wanty wantingness I feel when I think of the photo potential.

Have fun in Memphis. Don't forget it's the site of Dusty Springfield's greatest album ever; bonus points if you can find a diner with an all-Dusty jukebox.

:)
B.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger d said...

holy friggin awesomeness.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Leah said...

OMG, if it weren't for Mr B I'd move there in a heartbeat. Love is a battlefield, baby.

And also, call me when you get back. Totes.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home