.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tales of a Post-Grad Nothing

Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Taste of Love is Sweet When Hearts Like Ours Meet

I have the above song in my head because last night I went to a bar with a barrel for a door and saw a mutton-chopped man belt out that song with semi-flailing hand gestures. While I would have preferred Cash's better-titled song, hearing MC Mutton Chop's version of Ring of Fire while sipping gin and ginger ale was almost as good...almost.

My love for Chicago continues to rage like the unquenchable flames of a California wildfire*...to a level almost as absurd as that last sentence fragment. I'm kind of enamored by everything here and spend my days walking around thinking embarrassingly simple thoughts like "Look! Rent is affordable here!" and "Nobody here has spit on me yet!**" and "These charming, non-spitting people really do use the word 'Pop.'" See how they use the word 'pop.' See how affordable it is here. See how there's no spit:


Yesterday I ate a popsicle while standing knee-deep in Lake Michigan, then on the way home I walked past a restaurant called Laurie's Pizza and Liquor. When I realized that they deliver both, my heart nearly exploded. It is heart-explodingly good here...at least for now while the weather isn't out for blood.

The thing that I love most about being here is the subtlely bizarre sense of humor Chicago has. Why have a regular wine shop when you can have one shaped like a castle for no reason at all***? Why choose a normal bike ride when you can go on a naked one? Last time I came here, a friend and I ate in an Indian grocery store that's also a restaurant and hiding near the bathrooms, we saw this poster:


That's a woman whose face is framed by what appears to be an oil-covered eagle about to eat your soul. If that doesn't say Chicago Loves You Baby, I don't know what does.





* Sweet sassy molassy I wish I was a writer on a daytime soap.
** I cannot say the same thing about New York.
*** The photo on that site doesn't do it justice. They're serious about the castle theme. That building has old timey looking bricks and everything.

2 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger d said...

you've gotta try Hot Doug's, on california. there's nothing like it, and it's dripping with chicago love.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I LOVE Hot Doug's. I'm going there on Saturday actually.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home