.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tales of a Post-Grad Nothing

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

All Things Go

Oh man, it's been forever since I "be blowin this bitch to pieces."* There have been some fairly radical changes going down at Post-Grad Nothing headquarters. A couple of months ago, I went to Chicago for a whirlwind weekend of eating fancy-schmancy encased meats and treasure hunting and hanging out with my friend Steve (whose fun-ness quotient can be summed up just by showing you this picture:


He has to wear those shades since his future's so bright. I also met this lady of this site's fame . She is even more fun than the Viking horns would imply).

Back in January, going from Breakupsville, VA to Badassington, IL was almost as good as licking raw meat off of Gideon Yago's bare chest. IT WAS THAT GOOD. All I did that trip was eat and drink and laugh my guts out in that crazy, gushy kind of way that you laugh when you have needed something fantastic to smile about for a very long time and then all of a sudden you have it and laughter simply comes pouring forth in maniacal bucketfuls. That kind of laughter. It was nothing short of medicinal and when I returned to emotionally complicated Richmond, I had an amazingly awful day and decided right then and there that it was time to turn to my city of birth, look it straight in the eye, and finally say something that's been a long time coming: I think we should start seeing other people.

Since then, I've been very consumed with finding a subletter for my apartment (you know, in case Richmond and I decide after a summer fling that we really can work out our differences after all), finding a place in Chicago, and convincing my mother that a single woman moving to a new city alone doesn't necessarily mean she's going to be raped. Minus the last one, those tasks have been eerily easy. I merely mentioned the Chicago idea to a friend who just happened to know someone from New Zealand moving to Virginia for the summer?!?!?! and at the very last minute, I found a dog-friendly room in a three-story house for super cheap in the northern part of the Windy City. My future roommates (who are the most Midwestern people I've ever seen in my life, over-sized white t-shirts, running shoes, friendly dispositions, and all) chose me over some other Depaul U student even though the other girl could stay longer. Being chosen over someone else because "I don't know, you just seemed awesomer"...they said the word 'awesomer'...being chosen by someone who uses the word 'awesomer' feels like being elected Prom Queen of Chicago.

All seemed to be going great, so last week I high-tailed it out to Chicago to finalize my living arrangements and make sure that Illinois and I would be ok for a casual summer hook-up situation. As I was heading to the subway to go back to VA, it hit me. Oh my god, you are about to move to a town you know nothing about just for the hell of it. I started to have a freak-out moment and when I looked up at the sky in a very cliched God, what am I doing with my life? move, I saw this standing above me:


Ok, that's a giant billboard of Bob Barker encouraging me to "Get Fixed." If that's not a direct sign from God that I'm in the right place at the right time, I don't know what is.

I move in two to three weeks. I am both nervous and excited.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


* I heard the most giant black man I've ever seen use that phrase on the New York subway once. In retrospect, that's probably not the best place to be throwing out that phrase. He was talking about his girlfriend's cell phone and when he said it, I kind of fell in awesomely awful love with he and his ghettofabulous girlfriend who had gold fingernails the size of my head. I'm hoping that phrase has the same effect here.

5 Comments:

At 12:50 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Is my spare bedroom made up yet?

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Rees26 said...

How exciting!! Good luck!!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger deanna said...

As an Indiana transplant to Maryland, I can tell you with confidence that Chicago is SUPREMELY fantastic! You're going to have an incredible summer, and Richmond, well, it doesn't quite seem like a fair fight, really. I think I'd be drafting my "see ya, suckahs!" letter already, if I were you!

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger d said...

hey you're gonna love this city. we have an absolute blast each summer.

well, we also have lots of rollerbladers...but that's a different story.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger J in Ric said...

good for you! richmond will be a little less awesomer this summer....

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home