.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tales of a Post-Grad Nothing

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

State of the Union

Most days things at Chris Squared Headquarters run smooth as butta. Every now and then; however, there's a kink in the plan and phrases like "No, I don't need YOUR shit" rear their ugly heads, only to inevitably be swallowed again later. Arguing on occassion, I believe, is a difficult, but necessary part of a relationship. It's sort of a checks and balance, letting both you and the other person know that your relationship is an open contract, one in which either of you could leave at any time, and for that reason, it shouldn't be taken for granted. That being said, fighting sucks and it double sucks if you happen to be fighting with someone you care for deeply who happens to have the attention span of toddler.

Last night on an evening walk, Chris and I got into a rather heated debate about where we should be and what we should do in the future and in the middle of a conversation involving words like "buying a home," "marriage," and "the scary, scary, scary-ass prospect of never getting to see another person naked in real life again," the boyfriend suddenly became silent, seemingly lost in thought. For a brief minute, in between pseudo-yells, I thought "These are heavy issues, just give him some time to ponder the situation over." After a minute or two of silence, I asked "So...um...what do you think about all of this?" absolutely terrified of what the answer may be.

The periodical State of the Union address can go one of several directions, the best of which result in the relationship being closer than ever, the worst of which result in days spent sorting through which CDs belong to who. After a long, long, long pause Chris looked me directly in the eyes, took a deep breath and said, "look at this," pointing behind us to a gorgeous house surrounded by a brick fence, the kind of house you just know several happy people live in with their happy offspring and their happy dog(s). For a second, I felt, well, flattered, that even though I don't really want marriage or kids, that someone in this world would want to buy a home with me, to start a family with moi. My smile lasted about 10 seconds before he followed up by saying, "No seriously, look at this. The brick, it's still warm. That means it traps the sun during the day and is releasing the heat at night. That's what we call science!" I looked at him pressing his hands up against the wall, then glanced up at the gorgeous house on the hill, thinking about the several happy people and the happy offspring and the happy dogs that could be living their happy lives there at that very moment. And right then and there, I had everything I needed to know about the state of our union.

6 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger Leahtard said...

I know what I'm going to get you guys for a wedding present if you do end up getting married.

http://www.mrwizardstudios.com/mrwizardsworld_mainpage.htm

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Chris said...

You know we're going to need all 6 volumes.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger i heart dorks said...

As you and I are locked in an eternal battle to be the ULTIMATE line crosser I’m just going to say the first thing that came to my mind when I read your second paragraph – if it helps, you are always welcome to look at me naked. IF IT HELPS.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

That was probably one of my favorite blog entries ever. Well done, Couch.

[It pains me sometimes to think that we weren't, you know, REAL friends in college, since our names are both inanimate objects. Just think of the WACKY ADVENTURES we could have on THE COATES AND COUCH SHOW!!!)

(The name order is non-negotiable.)

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger jAG said...

Well. That stinks.

I was just told this morning that I shouldn't expect a "thank you" for something that I did because one shouldn't have to thank their spouse for things. News to me.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Just make sure that house, wherever it is, is near me. Is that too much to ask?

Also, there are a lot of bricks in Chicago. You and Studs Terkel (my new nickname for Chris that I just developed) should visit.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home