.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tales of a Post-Grad Nothing

Sunday, July 17, 2005

In college I had a radio show that ran between the prime hours of 2AM and 4AM on Thursday nights. You would think that nobody would ever listen to the radio on a week night between 2AM and 4AM, but you'd be overlooking an enormous population of people who are used to being overlooked. That population is the prison population.

Every Thursday from 2AM to 4AM, I hosted a show called "More Rock Than You Can Shake A Stick At" and every Thursday, various inmates from the local correctional facility would call collect and shout out things they wanted to hear in place of their name. For example, you might pick up the phone and hear "You have a collect call from: PANTERA RULZ, CELL 4A" and you would know that it's just your good buds at Cell 4A putting their two cents in. There were always tales floating around the station of prisoners getting pissed off and calling in with things like "You have a collect call from: I GET OUT IN A MONTH, REMEMBER THAT" and other asundries of that nature, but the prisoners were always really nice to me and would call in just to tell me that I was doing a good job.

After a few months, I would know what the various cells wanted and would play their stuff without being called. Then the thank-you calls started coming in. You have a collect call from: The Metallica made my night. You have a collect call from: Thanks for listening to us. I was moved. The prisoners were actually really kind, much kinder than several of the bitches I knew on campus. I began to think that these people with nice manners surely didn't committ real crimes. Hardened criminals are, well, hardened and have mean voices and are impolite and will spit on you just for being alive. These guys just wanted to rock out between the hours of 2AM and 4AM on Thursday nights and as we all know, rockin out in NOT a crime.

After someone not incarcerated phoned in a bomb threat to the station, we weren't allowed to take calls from prison anymore. My Thursday nights weren't nearly as exciting and honestly, I was kind of sad. Today I found this (over at Melting Dolls) and I can't help but wonder if these people are doing time for rockin out too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home