.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tales of a Post-Grad Nothing

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Viva La Sleep

In general, the boyfriend and I get along fairly well; however, we both work a buttload of hours, so sometimes there's a bit of crabbiness. (First person to say anything about a 'case of the Mondays' gets a boo/hiss combo from across the sea)

Setting: A few days ago
Location: A small apartment my mother would classify as a tenament

[Me]: Hey, do you think we should get another comforter for our bed? It's kind of cold at night.

[BF]: Yeah, I'll buy a duvet this weekend

[Me]: Do we really want to get a duvet? I mean, they're made out of down and I feel kind of bad sleeping under duck feathers. You can go ahead and call me a liberal weenie, I deserve it.

[BF]: I don't care if they're made out of the sauteed eyeballs of homeless third world children, a duvet is the most comfortable thing on God's green earth! If you want to sleep under rice patties and patchouli, go right ahead, but I'm daaaaaamn it! I'm buying a duvet.

[red face, one drop of sweat pours from the BF's bald head, scene]

So that's the story of how I lost the last hint of college radical liberalism I had (the arm pit hair went a few years ago) and we came to be sleeping underneath the rightfully dubbed 'most comfortable thing on God's green earth.' Ever since the gloriously comfortable duvet of heaven came into our tenament, I've been looking over my shoulder to make sure the dreadlocked (shudder), natural tampon-wearing, deodorant free (double shudder, use the natural stuff people!), fruitarian kids of France can't see that my social consciousness has been replaced by a really good night's sleep. Readers, all 10 of you, please be inspired by this photograph of a real radical liberal:


If you believe (as I do) that the strength of a man's ideals is indirectly proportional to the clarity of his face, you've got yourself a bastion of conviction. Here's a guy who probably wouldn't compromise his ethics for sleep or vanilla salt water taffy or topless making out on the floor or anything else I would readily disavow my ideals for. I don't know who this man is or even what he believes, but I do know that his sweet visage comes up when Google image searching 'radical liberals' and in this day and age, sporting a flat-top like that is a revolution in itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home