.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tales of a Post-Grad Nothing

Sunday, January 16, 2005



This morning I had a job interview for a babysitting gig. Everything went well, the children were lovely, the mother was lovely, the day was lovely, the weather was cold, but lovely. And for a moment, I was very excited about the possibility of bringing in money I can hold in my hand without having to wait six months for something to be published. That moment of excitement lasted for a good 30 minutes, all the way up until the very end when just after the lovely woman asked me if my boyfriend would be ok with me working, she said (in a horrifically excited tone), "I can offer you up to 40 Euro to keep my three children for 10 hours a day!"

40 Euros is...hmm...let me see...4 Euros per hour...that comes to...3.61 Euros below minimum wage in this country, or roughly 52% of the lowest possible legal hourly income.

Sign me up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home